There is a general assumption that freight costs are fixed and cannot be reduced. However, you must know that there is nothing that cannot be done. There are many ways in which you can lessen the freight costs easily.
One of the simplest ways in which cost reduction can be made is by night-time freight pickups. All you must have is a smart approach. Some of the efficient ways to cut freight costs are listed and discussed below.
Have a contract for steady lane
- Talk to your driver– If your carrier works for you every day, you must have a word with him regarding lanes. As he has a regular freight flow, he can manage the backhaul and connect a proper network. Doing so will help you pay him less.
- Stay loyal- Carriers these days always find reliable work with longevity. So if you stay dedicated and assign work, they will also work efficiently. You can settle over and save up to 12% of your expenses in this sector.
Choose off-peak days to ship
- Choose Friday- If you plan out and choose off days for shipping, you can reduce freight costs. Friday is one of the off-peak days for consumer goods as most shops stock by Thursday.
It is done to shelve them by Friday and make it ready for selling on the weekends. Generally, on Fridays, the freight services look for work. So if you book them for that day, you will have a benefit.
- Choose Monday- You can save a little. If you are shipping non-consumer products, then these off days are the best options. You can choose Monday also, as the work pressure remains low.
Try to develop long-lasting bonds
- Establish friendly relations- Do not become too work-centric. Try to establish bonds with people with whom you are working. Don’t act just like shopkeepers, who forget customers after purchase. Developing a proper relationship with a freight service guarantees your loyalty to them. The carrier companies also get assured that you will not leave them as the year turns.
- Sign a long term contact- This will enable you to reduce costs slightly. As if you sign for a three-year contract, the rate remains the same instead of changing each year. Staying committed, you get better services from the other end.
Try to decrease dunnage
- Let the carrier company pack- Many products that are shipped and have to travel a long distance over trucks or through the ocean require dunnage to protect them from breaking.
At times shippers pack too much dunnage than needed. If you rely on the carriers for packing, they can place products according to their way. This will reduce the cost of dunnage.
- Ask for advice- Always tries to seek advice from carriers as they have trained and skillful methods at work. They devise the right strategy to place the right sized box or right cut box above or beside the base while packing.
It will help you to reduce freight costs if you are flexible with your carrier.
You can always rely on Trukkin as they are one of the most reliable carrier companies in Dubai. By availing of their services and following the strategies, you can lower the freight costs. You can book by using an email or a call.