Controlling and predicting natural disasters is not possible, they can strike anywhere and at any time. Whether it’s winter thunderstorms or winter weather when the storms are at their worst and power loss is frequent. It makes people scared and vulnerable, but everyone deserves the peace of mind in their own home. Therefore, standby Diesel Generators should be in every home because in case of any emergency like say you get hit by a really bad snowstorm or thunderstorm and you are trapped in your house, it can be really dangerous and intimidating, so having that automatic standby power generator gives you a sense of security and makes you feel safe during hard times at affordable prices. They help in restoring power for affected areas.
Things to keep in mind beforehand – Early Preparations:
1. Get a generator: Owning a generator as a backup plan is very important, in case of emergencies it allows you to operate the necessary appliances to keep you and your property safe. They are available in various sizes and are customized according to your needs and requirements.
2. Store the generator properly for its effective use: the generator should be stored with utmost care so that it can be easily used whenever it is needed. Check all the compartments whether they are working properly or not. We should always store the generator effectively so that it is stored in a working condition and can be easily accessed when required.
3. Prepare your generator for a fight: as you get an update regarding the storm, you should take out your generator and open the controller compartment, and after cleaning it check whether all compartments are in line or it needs attention. Some generators have indicator lights that indicate a ready sign to make sure everything is working properly in your generator.
4. Conditions in the room where the generator is kept: make sure there are no windows or openings which can cause debris or wind to come in contact with the generator. During storms, if your generator is exposed to such conditions it can backfire and blow exhaust flames in your house which leads to force the shutdown of the unit for safety purposes.
5. Get enough fuel to survive the storm: make sure there is an unlimited or sufficient supply of fuel for the duration of the storm and a few days in extra so that your generator can run effectively without any hurdle. As the delivery of fuel during the storms is very difficult and to make sure you do not run out of fuel when required you should take these precautions and get your unit running without any interference. As when the generator runs out of fuel it shuts down and then you will probably need assistance from the specialist to get it restarted. Make a note that the fuel is supposed to be stored outside the house.
6. Check on your generator: when your generator runs for days, you should check upon it every 24 hours and then using the operator’s manual change and add the oil to the generator for it to use further. Before adding oil we should turn it off for few minutes so that the oil left can cool down and then you can replace it. After adding the oil make sure the Fuel indicator shows full.
7. If required get your generator tested: locate nearby service station before adding and checking on fuel. So that you can get it tested whether it is safe to use or not. And if you do not feel comfortable about your generator, give a call to your generator expert and tell them to have a look and change it if you need it beforehand. So, that you do not face any issues during or post-storm.
Things to keep in mind during and after the storm hits:
1. Prepare for a power outage: make sure only the appliances which come under need should be turned on and the rest should be unplugged so that they do not consume any extra power generator and we can utilize it when required. Settings of your refrigerators should be checked as it consumes more energy.
2. Stay Updated regarding alerts: you should stay updated and listen to every news regarding weather forecast and alerts. Also, be prepared if the power goes out your phone should be well equipped to keep you posted as according to these alerts you can plan and make sure you have a full-proof plan to survive the power cut and test your generator accordingly.
3. Don’t be Selfish: help your family, friends, and even neighbors so that you can all survive these situations together and be safe. Be generous enough to share what you have with your neighbors and friends so that they can use that power to charge their phones to be updated. As only by united one can pull together and fight against these crises and natural disasters.
It is important that we learn lessons from our mistakes and be prepared and focused to perform best practices both before and after the natural disaster hits. We are dependent on power, so during power outages for any reason, it affects the basic needs of people like it is a need for disaster-affected communities for medical care, water, and food. Power generators are the future-ready solutions for upcoming challenges so that we can be prepared and respond to them sensibly. Evaluating the risk beforehand decreases vulnerability towards the crises and increases the protection level. It is not only about the inconvenience people face during power outages, it’s about people’s lives that are at stake. You can not control the weather but you can control how we can monitor, plan and respond to those events. In such weather using a generator without proper guidance can be very dangerous. We must be prepared and ready to fight against any situation so that we can respond to extreme weather in all manner. Make sure your family is ready for the power loss and the best way to resolve that problem is by investing in automatic standby generators. They keep you comfortable and safe during extreme weather conditions. Therefore, do not wait for the storm to begin, plan everything as Safety starts from being prepared.