We’ve all seen the sculpted cheekbones and sharp features on models and secretly wished them. Celebrities like Kim Kardashian have made contouring a rage. While trying to contour your face can be quite intimidating and maybe a little frightening, there is no reason to shy away from this astounding technique that can make you runway ready in a matter of minutes.
Contouring your face in the right way can take your makeup game to a whole new level. The technique uses dark and light colours to enhance and slim down the appearance of certain facial features to bring about a flawlessly sculpted look on your face. If you’re looking to give contouring a try, here is a guide to contouring your face like an expert.
- Determine your face shape: While knowing your face shape is not an absolute necessity, it can come in handy when looking to give your face a more defined look. It’ll help you get the best results.
- Get contouring products: For contour makeup, you need two products: one for highlighting and the other for contouring. For contouring, you need a product that is three shades darker than your skin tone and is within the same undertone family. For highlighting, pick a product that is two shades lighter than your skin tone and is within the same undertone family. If you want to do powder contouring, go for a contouring product in powder form.
- Put on your base makeup: Begin by prepping your skin with a moisturiser and a makeup primer. Follow it up with a layer of colour corrector, if needed, to mask any area where you need a little more coverage. Next, layer on a foundation and blend it well using a beauty blender. Make sure you use a foundation according to your skin type. For example, matte formulated foundations are the best foundations for oily skin.
- Use a highlighter: Begin by applying the light highlighter on the areas of your face that you would want to draw attention to. Areas you may want to apply the highlighter may include under the eyes, towards the temples, the center of your forehead, and chin. To slim down the appearance of the nose, draw a straight line of highlighter down the center of your nose. Use a brush to blend the product and soften any harsh edges. Ensure you blend only the areas you are using the highlighter in and not move the product around.
- Contour your face: To contour your face, pick the darker contouring product and follow the natural shadows of your face shape. Contouring along the edges of your jawbone will give you an appearance of a sharp jawline. For chiseled cheekbones, use a line of contour beneath your cheekbones. To make your forehead look smaller, use some contouring product along the hairline in an even manner. Contour the bottom of your lower lip for fuller-looking lips. After using the product on your target areas, use a makeup blender or a brush to tap the product into your skin and blend it out evenly.
- Set your makeup: After sculpting your face, make sure you seal the look with a few spritzes of a setting spray. It will help the makeup stay in place for longer.
Health & Glow features a wide range of all kinds of cosmetic and makeup products. You can browse from a huge collection of different high-quality cosmetic and makeup products from various brands to meet all your glamour needs.