Everything around the world has become digital. From the ease of home, you could shop for clothes, groceries, medicines, and almost everything.
Even businesses are switching to a fully digitized environment which makes everything fast and easy for the user. Government offices and other departments should also make use of the online permit portal.
Because the traditional paper-based permit process that is currently followed is making it difficult for people to visit in person and wait in long queues for any approval and permits.
This process takes an ample amount of time and makes it time-consuming for the whole process and delays the same. Not only time but also it consumes money and effort for the people due to in-person.
To overcome all these difficulties, it is mandatory to establish an online permit portal according to the current situation. The online permit portal not only makes it easy for the people but also for the managers to make it easy and hassle-free.
What are the drawbacks of the traditional model?
Before scrapping the traditional paper-based permit process and switching over to an online permit portal, it is necessary to understand why a wide number of professionals are dissatisfied with the traditional method.
- Safety and efficiency are the key factors that make online permitting portals to be more reliable and successful.
- In a traditionally paper-based process, there is more room for human errors when compared to online portals. Also, the process will be more reliant on the knowledge and memory of individual workers.
- There is an increased chance of feeble risk assessment and it can also lead workers to spend a lot of time decrypting the incompetent handwriting of others.
- It makes it tedious and difficult for maintenance managers to make employees follow a predetermined series of steps when processing the permit, to decrease the chances of errors.
- This traditional manual permit process is generally limited to the knowledge and care of the person who prepares the permit and the risk of human error is increased if that specific person forgets to collect any certain important details that could lead to a disaster.
- Crucial workers will be made to spend more time filling out multiple forms by hand which could affect the production time.
- It is hard to maintain an STO management system (Shutdown, Turnaround, and Outages) that could result in a notable number of backlogs of permits that could result in the wasted time since the technicians would be waiting for the permit instead of actually working.
- Often the status of permits is not readily available since it will be required to go through an additional check to make sure breaches do not occur.
What are the benefits of using an online permit portal?
As said before, Safety and Efficiency are critical in an industrial environment. Organizations can no longer afford to have a rigid, unsafe, and inefficient paper-based process that is outdated. Some of the major benefits that you could attain by using an online permit portal are:
Reduced risk of hazardous Incidents
It is possible that while the chief or senior technician juggle between multiple forms and paperwork for permits, there could be a risk of any important steps getting missed that could have a bigger safety implication.
While using a digital permit model, makes it easier and faster for them to finish the permit process and carefully spend more time on the actual work that has to be done. Also, digital models would allow the worker to have more knowledge and visibility on the other happenings in the same location, which will reduce hazardous incidents to a certain level.
In addition, an online permit portal
would also eliminate the issue of undetailed notes with unreadable handwriting.
The more efficient permitting process
With the traditional process, workers tend to spend more time on the long queue which makes them frustrated and as a result, this leads to incorrect information or missing of certain elements for the permit process.
An online portal solves these problems and results in more efficiency by implementing a streamlined approval process.
>Reduced Administrative Tasks
Using an online portal reduces the administrative tasks for the maintenance workers which saves them a significant amount of time that could be actually spent on any of the maintenance tasks.
Online permitting portal fastens the entire permitting cycle by notifying the workers with push notifications and emails alerting them when there is a certain permit requiring their approval. This reduces a lot of time that is wasted in the bureaucratic paper-based process.
To conclude, In today’s world with modern technologies evolving remarkably it is important for organizations to use digital permitting since it is a crucial step towards increasing the uptime, staying compliant with the rules and regulations, and to provide a safer work environment.