When was last time you saw your parents? Have you noticed that your aging parents have not been active as before? Have you been wondering why it is taking longer for your aging parents to get their routine task done?
If you visited your aging parents, would you see their lifestyle change to a different way? Maybe they would not go out often anymore. Maybe they would not eat healthy enough. Or maybe they would not care their hygiene like they used to be. These could be the sign that elderly family members are facing the challenges of mental acuity and physical strength. This would be the time for younger family members to take responsibility and do what is necessary to provide care for elderly family members as best as possible.
Here are some tips to tackle the challenges of caring for your elderly loved ones.
Tips to provide care to elderly loved ones
Many of us who have to care for an elderly parent tend to jump into the role of caregiver without much knowledge. We soon realize it would take some time and experience to provide proper care to elderly family members.
Given the busy lifestyle most of us have, selecting a reliable senior home care provider would be an ideal way to ensure the well-being of our elderly loved ones. The following tips would help you identify whether a senior home care provider is able to properly care for your elderly family members:
- How are meals prepared?
When choosing a caregiver, there are a few things you can find out about how meal preparation is done.
- Would the senior home care service provider consult the elderly on food preferences?
- How is meal planning and preparation done?
- Would caregiver monitor diet and eating routine when requested?
- How about recipe and ingredient review for shopping list?
- Would caregiver go for grocery shopping and provide food organization?
- How about monitoring food expiration dates?
- Choose the level of care you can afford!
You will need to assess your options for caring of your elderly family members. What kind of senior home care do they need? Do they also need medications and basic daily routine assistance? Do they need transportation assistance? These are fairly common services provided to elderly in most large cities.
A good place to start is Touching Hearts at Home NYC, a popular and affordable senior home care agency in New York Area. Once you get a list of service providers, be sure to talk to each agency and evaluate the type of care your aging parent will receive.
A reliable and reputable senior in-home care agency can embrace the elderly with love, and it can help heal the anxiety and isolation of old age.
- Arrange daily activities
Try to keep your elderly loved ones active whenever possible. Such as having caregiver take them do errands. Many seniors would want to feel that they are in control of their lives and want to be engaged with society. Here are a few of the scenarios for selecting a reliable caregiver:
- Would the caregiver escort elderly to medical appointments?
- Would the caregiver drive elderly to visit friends and social events?
- Would the caregiver help elderly pick up prescription?
- Would the caregiver take elderly to grocery shopping?
- Would the caregiver take elderly to hair and nail appointments?
- Would the caregiver take elderly to parks and other areas to walk?
- Companionship is the goal and a key to elderly’s longevity.
If your elderly family member lives in a distant location and you are tied up with a busy lifestyle or unable to visit your aging parent regularly, you would want to consider a senior home care service provider who provides professional companion service to your elderly loved one. In-home social visits are very popular among elderly family members in large cities like New York area. Senior home care service provides a home health aide, whose job is to stimulate and engage, who will spend the day with your elderly loved one listening to old-time music, playing crossword puzzles, laughing and enjoying a game or two!
I hope these tips will help you and your aging parent find senior in-home care service that brings joy and peace of mind to your family.