Scoring high on the GRE test is an important part of getting admission into the graduate program of your choice. Among the sections of GRE, the quant section perhaps creates the most anxiety for students. But you don’t need to be a scientist or talented to score well in the GRE math! All you need to do is to put in a little more effort.
While most of the GRE test takes to put their attention on the verbal section, there are very few to get a perfect score in that. But a little effort and concentration help to increase the score of the quant.
Here in this article, we mention the tips on building core math skills and tips to follow to score high in the quant section of GRE:
- Slow down on the word problems – assure you understand the actual concept of the question as one word can change the way you understand. Don’t rush to answer the question, take time to familiarise yourself before you select the choice.
- Don’t think of using a calculator – avoid using a calculator unless you need it. Do the calculation on your mind to answer a couple of questions. Save time by doing simple conversations in your head before answering the quant.
- Don’t spend more than 2-3 min on one question – with the time limit of 35 minutes to answer the quant section and as most the GRE question is built to answer them in 1-2 minutes. When you feel you are stuck, make a logical guess, and move on.
- Manage anxiety – sometimes candidates taking the test feel more anxiety when they come to know the answer for the quant. These types of questions make your mind race in clicking the answer and making it hard to move on further. So keep your mind calm and relax while answering the quant section.
- Visualize the question before solving it – when you find a difficult question, sometimes visualizing the answers might help you to solve the problem. This helps you to read and understand the link between the question and answer. The tip works well for complicated concepts such as geometry, algorithm, etc.
- Employ the elimination process – when you get stuck with a question you cannot solve, just try eliminating the wrong answer from the choices and you can use it to get the answer quickly.
- Have eyes on the time – balance the time you are spending on the chapter while taking the test. Don’t spend more time on unnecessary topics and this might help you to solve the harder question. Realize that there are many topics to cover and so allot the time slot to solve the quant.
- Carefully answer the choices given – always watch out for the wrong selection of choices. Try to be vigilant while answering as most of them look alike and you get confused to click at the heated moment. Double-check the answers before you move on to the next quant. GRE coaching in Bangalore, Chennai, and Hyderabad provides a lot of practicing materials online to know where you stand.
Above are some of the best GRE quant tricks and strategies that could help you to score well in the quant section. Concentrate on practicing a lot of papers before attempting the exams.